This is a simple, warming, nourishing vegan chickpea asparagus soup recipe. Tarragon lends a somewhat licorice flavor that pairs very well with the lemon and asparagus. The chickpeas and potatoes bring a little more substance. In all, it’s very tasty.
This recipe serves 4.
One thing to note, tarragon can be very assertive; as in, a little can go a long way. You can definitely lean on it to provide a lot of flavor to a recipe.
I love how this vegan chickpea asparagus soup smells, and even more how it tastes. It feels like it would pair very well with Fennel Risotto with Orange Zest.
Discover additional UVK recipes, like Lemon Artichoke Asparagus Soup, Asparagus Potato Salad with Fresh Dill and Horseradish, Asparagus Salad with Walnuts, Farro and Lemon Vinaigrette, Herbed Millet Skillet with White Beans and Asparagus and more!
Be kind. Be nourished.
Let’s go make some comforting soup 💚
Lemon Chickpea Asparagus Soup
1 cup finely chopped shallots
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
2 tsp olive oil
1 large baking potato, peeled and diced into bite-size cubes
1 1/4 tsp dried tarragon
1/4 cup dry white wine
15.5 ounce can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3 cups broth (I used Better than Bouillon No Chicken Base mixed with water)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cups chopped asparagus cut into bite-size pieces
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Salt, to taste
1. First, you’ll sauté the aromatics for the vegan chickpea asparagus soup. In a large, heavy pot, add shallots, garlic, celery, olive oil and a dash of salt, and saute over medium heat for 2 minutes or until shallots are transparent. Stir in potatoes and dried tarragon. Sauté another 4 minutes–stirring often to prevent the potatoes from sticking to the bottom.
2. Add the dry white wine, and stir constantly until most of the liquid evaporates and any brown bits that stuck to the bottom of the pot are loosened.
3. Stir in the chickpeas, broth, onion powder, nutritional yeast and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, cover with a lid, and turn down the heat to low. Simmer for ~10 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
4. Add 2 cups of the vegan chickpea asparagus soup and the lemon juice to a blender. Blend until smooth, then dump back into the soup pot. Add the asparagus to the soup pot, and simmer until cooked through (~7-10 minutes).
5. Stir in the parsley. Taste the vegan chickpea asparagus soup and adjust seasonings, if needed (more salt? more nutritional yeast?). Serve.