This is an easy stovetop vegan truffle mac and cheese recipe with white truffle oil, nutritional yeast and vegan cheese. This dish cooks up fast (25 minutes or less!), and does not require any baking at all. To help it take even less time, I like to get my water boiling and boil my macaroni while I make the vegan cheese sauce.
White truffle oil is used as a finishing oil that’s used to enhance food. It should be added when the cooking process is over. And wow, does it enhance vegan mac n’ cheese! It also tastes really good on pizza, in risotto, or on garlic bread. A little goes a long way, so use it sparingly. There are a variety of brands on the market, but for this recipe, I used Sabatino Tartufi White Truffle Oil.
Love vegan mac and cheese? Check out more UVK vegan macaroni and cheese recipes.
Vegan Truffle Mac and Cheese
2 cups dried elbow macaroni
6 Tbsp vegan butter
½ cup all-purpose flour
3 cups vegan unsweetened milk (I used Good Karma Unsweetened Flaxmilk)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
½-1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dijon mustard
⅓-½ cup nutritional yeast
¼-½ cup vegan shredded cheese (I used Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds)
1-1 ½ tsp white truffle oil
1. Add 2 cups of elbow macaroni to a very large boiling pot of water. Boil for ~5 minutes. Drain and rinse the macaroni. Set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt vegan butter. Once the vegan butter is melted, whisk in the flour. It should form a paste.
3. Whisk in the vegan unsweetened milk. Continue whisking over medium-high heat until the sauce thickens. If you like a really thick sauce, whisk it longer. But no matter what, don’t stop vigorously whisking or it will burn to the bottom or get lumps. It should take between 5-10 minutes.
4. Over low heat, whisk in the lemon juice, garlic powder, dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, vegan shredded cheese, and salt until very smooth. Remove from heat, and taste. Adjust seasonings, if needed (salt? lemon juice? nutritional yeast?).
5. Mix the vegan cheese sauce, truffle oil, and elbow macaroni pasta together. Taste the vegan mac and cheese, and adjust seasonings, if needed. Serve immediately.