This is an easy vegan BBQ flavored popcorn recipe with maple syrup, smoked paprika, chipotle powder and more. It’s smoky, sweet, spicy, and savory. It’s texture is crunchy and light. As you snack, it doesn’t leave seasoning all over your fingers, as some recipes do. In the end, it’s flavor dares you not to finish the entire bowl.
While it’s awesome for everyday snacking, it seems like it would also be a great gift at the holidays, like Christmas. I would be thrilled to get a tin of smoky maple BBQ popcorn and maybe you know some folks that would love it too? 😊
A few things…
- You’ll need freshly popped popcorn. Pop your popcorn however you want, whether it’s in an air popper, in the microwave, or on the stove. Just make sure it’s plain.
- Using a candy thermometer is essential. It makes sure you nail the temperature on the maple syrup sauce.
- You’ll need to move quickly. Once you remove the sauce from the stove, it will start to set up. Right away, stir in the liquid smoke, and then, stir in the BBQ seasoning mix. Immediately pour the BBQ maple sauce over the popcorn, and then, mix it together.
This vegan BBQ popcorn recipe makes ~11-13 cups. Once it’s completely cool, you can store it in an airtight container for ~3-5 days (but always use your best judgement with leftovers).
Please enjoy 💚 And discover more UVK recipes, like Vegan Granola Bars, Smoky Medjool Date Barbecue Sauce, Slow Cooker Vegan Baked Beans, Smoky Roasted Chickpeas, Grilled Lemon Garlic Herb Tofu Skewers, and Smoky Medjool Date BBQ Jackfruit.
Smoky Maple BBQ Popcorn
11-13 cups freshly popped popcorn (from ⅓ cup popcorn kernels)
1¼ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp chipotle powder
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking soda
5 Tbsp vegan butter (I used Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks)
⅓ cup maple syrup
¼ tsp liquid smoke (I used Wright’s Hickory Liquid Smoke)
1. Preheat the oven to 300º F. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Next, sift through the popped popcorn and remove any unpopped kernels. Then, place the popped popcorn in a very large mixing bowl.
3. Now, it’s time to put together the BBQ seasoning mix for the popcorn. In a small bowl, add the smoked paprika, chipotle powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and baking soda. Mix together and set aside.
4. In a small saucepan, add the vegan butter and maple syrup. Whisk until the butter melts, and then, lower in a candy thermometer. Continue whisking until the maple syrup sauce reaches a temperature of 230º F. Then, remove the saucepan from heat.
5. Stir the liquid smoke into the maple syrup sauce. Then, stir in the seasoning mixture from the small bowl.
6. Immediately pour ½ the BBQ maple syrup sauce over the popcorn. Stir the popcorn around with a spatula. Then, add the remaining sauce, and mix it around until every piece of popcorn has a bit of sauce on it.
7. Spread the BBQ maple popcorn evenly across the parchment paper. Bake at 300º F for 10 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven, and stir it around. Return to the oven and bake at 300ºF for another 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and stir around again.
9. When cool enough to handle, break up any pieces of smoky maple BBQ popcorn that are stuck together. When completely cool, serve. Store in an airtight container for ~3-5 days, but always use your best judgement with leftovers.
10 responses to “Smoky Maple BBQ Popcorn”
i love popcorn too! i haven’t found a airless popper that works well for me. Perhaps because i just want a small quantity living alone. do you have one you recommend? thanks.
Yeah popcorn! 😊 I’m afraid my air popper is a bit dated, so I may not be great for recommending a current model. Mine’s an old Presto Poplite, which could be from the 90’s. She just keeps going!
Sounds very good! I hear a lot of chips has BBQ flavor but popcorns are not easy to find…will try it for sure, especially for coming BBQ season😋
Thanks so much! Yeah, it seemed like an easy snack food to make at home, so why not?! Hope you enjoy it 💚
Oh wow, I am drooling right now! I love popcorn but I don’t eat it much but I guess that’s changing soon. Thanks for the great idea!
Yay! I really appreciate the high praise, and hope that it becomes a fast favorite 💚
Seriously….un-flippin delicious! Popcorn game changer! Thanks for the recipe!!
Yay!! Thank you so much! I really appreciate you giving it a try 💚
This popcorn is bonkers good! Nice job!!!
Wow, thank you!