Across the U.S., but particularly in the South, there’s a tradition of eating black-eyed peas and collard greens on New Year’s Day to bring good luck. The peas represent good luck, health and plenty. The greens symbolize the green of currency, and are meant to bring financial gain in the year ahead. Looking for a meatless way to enjoy this tradition? Well, look no further than this smoky, savory slow cooker vegan (or vegetarian) black-eyed peas and collard greens recipe with smoked paprika, loads of garlic, soy sauce and turnips.
Really, this dish is delicious any time of year. So, no need to restrict yourself to the holiday! And if you have any leftovers, vegan black-eyed peas and collard greens freeze very well.
・Most times, I like my collard greens without the stems. I simply remove the stems before I chop the leaves. Other times, I buy collard greens in a bag from my produce section. They come chopped up, but have stems. To stem or not to stem is entirely up to you.
- ・You can use red miso paste or fake chicken-flavored bouillon cubes in this recipe. If you use red miso paste, you may need more soy sauce at the end. Just give it a taste, and adjust from there.
On New Year’s Day, cornbread is thought to represent gold. So, maybe enjoy a slab of cornbread on the side of these tasty slow cooker peas and greens? It’s my favorite way to go 💚
Discover more UVK recipes, like Slow Cooker Vegan Coconut Collard Greens, Vegan Collard Green Rolls with Smoky Jackfruit and Sweet Potatoes, Tempeh Turnip Hash or Slow Cooker Black-Eyed Peas, Okra and Tomatoes.
Now, let’s get cooking!
Slow Cooker Vegan Black-Eyed Peas and Collard Greens
1 medium sweet onion, chopped (OR ~2 cups chopped sweet onion)
1 Tbsp olive oil
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 Tbsp finely chopped peeled fresh ginger root
1½ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
2 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce (OR gluten free tamari)
14.5 ounce can of petite diced tomatoes
13.5 ounce can of unsweetened coconut cream
1 Tbsp red miso paste (OR 1½ fake chicken bouillon cubes – I used Edward & Sons Not Chicken Bouillon Cubes)
2 turnips, peeled and diced into bite size pieces
8 cups chopped collard greens (see note above)
15.5 ounce can of black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
Salt, to taste
1. First, you’ll sauté the aromatics for the vegan black-eyed peas and collard greens. In a large pot, add the onion, olive oil and a dash of salt. Sauté over medium-low heat for ~7 minutes or until golden. Then, add the garlic and fresh ginger. Sauté another minute or two.
2. Next, add the smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes. Stir around for 30 seconds, and then, stir in the soy sauce.
3. Add the tomatoes, unsweetened coconut cream and the red miso (or fake chicken bouillon cubes). Cover and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
4. Add the turnips, collard greens and black-eyed peas to the slow cooker. Pour the sauce from the pot over it, and then, stir until well combined. Secure the lid, and cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours.
5. Remove the lid. Taste, and adjust seasonings, if needed (more reduced sodium soy sauce? more red pepper flakes? smoked paprika?). Then, serve these tasty slow cooker vegan black-eyed peas and collard greens with cornbread on the side.