This is an easy vegan buckwheat pancakes recipe with an apple cinnamon topping. The pancakes use everyday kitchen pantry staples. The topping uses green apples, cinnamon, ginger, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Together, it’s heavenly! But even if you skip the topping and just make the hotcakes, you’ll find they’re are fluffy, nutty and moist. They’re perfect for breakfast, brunch or any time 🙂
This recipe makes ~8 vegan buckwheat pancakes (5″ in diameter).
A few things…
・Some skillets are better than others for making pancakes. I’ve had the best luck using my cast iron skillet, but I’ve also used a non-stick one in the past.
・When it’s time to make these vegan buckwheat pancakes, make sure to spray the skillet lightly with a neutral oil, like canola. Then, heat the skillet over medium-low heat for a minute or two. Test a teaspoon of batter in the skillet. Does it sizzle when it hits the skillet? Is it easy to get your spatula under? If yes, your skillet is ready!
・If I am having trouble flipping my pancakes, I like to wiggle the spatula under each side of the pancake. When the entire vegan buckwheat pancake is loosened, I shove the spatula under it and flip it.
- ・These buckwheat pancakes freeze very well. Just store them in a bag or sealed container in the freezer. When you’re ready to enjoy them, wrap the frozen pancake in a paper towel and heat for ~30 seconds in the microwave.
Discover more UVK recipes, like Vegan Potato Zucchini Pancakes, Vegan Roasted Buckwheat Mushroom Patties, Arugula and Butternut Squash Salad, Asian Noodle Salad with Almond Sesame Dressing or Roasted Coconut-Maple Yams.
And thank you, thank you, thank you for being here 💚
Let’s go make some buckwheat hotcakes!
Vegan Buckwheat Pancakes with Apple Cinnamon Topping
2 large green apples, peeled and thinly sliced (OR ~3¼ cups peeled and thinly sliced green apples)
½ cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp vanilla extract
A pinch of salt
1 cup buckwheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp baking powder
2 Tbsp canola oil
¼ cup pure maple syrup
1½ cup water
1. First, you’ll make the apple cinnamon topping for the vegan buckwheat pancakes. Add the apples, maple syrup, cinnamon and ginger to a medium pot. Stir over high heat until the maple syrup starts to bubble. Then, turn the heat down to medium-high heat and continue stirring until the apples are soft enough to enjoy eating (~5 minutes).
2. Remove the topping from heat. Stir in the vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
3. Next, you’ll work on the vegan buckwheat pancakes. In a large mixing bowl, add the buckwheat flour, all-purpose flour, salt, cinnamon and baking powder. Stir together.
4. In the mixing bowl, make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients (canola oil, maple syrup, and water) into the well. Stir everything together until very well combined.
5. Lightly grease a non-stick or cast iron skillet with canola oil. Heat it over medium-low heat for 1-2 minutes.
6. Pour some vegan buckwheat pancakes batter onto the skillet. When it starts looking matte around the edges (see photo above), it’s time to flip it. Allow it to cook through (it’ll puff up a bit), and then, remove it from the skillet. Repeat this process until all the batter is gone.
7. Serve the warm vegan buckwheat pancakes with apple cinnamon topping or your favorite toppings.
2 responses to “Vegan Buckwheat Pancakes with Apple Cinnamon Topping”
These look incredible! I haven’t worked much with buckwheat but my mouth is watering!
Thanks! I’m finding it’s one of those things that once you try it, you just want to eat it more often. No one here was upset that I needed to keep testing these pancakes to get them right 😆