Inspired by Slovak zemiakové placky (which translates in English to “potato pancakes”), this is a recipe for baked vegan potato zucchini pancakes. It preserves some traditional elements (potatoes, garlic, etc), but does take some departures (vegan sour cream, etc). I also prepare them by baking them, instead of frying them. A bit traditional, a bit unconventional, and a whole lot of savory deliciousness.
All in all, these vegan baked potato zucchini pancakes are easy to make and smell amazing baking in the oven. They work well as a snack, as an accompaniment to a hearty stew, like Soy Curl Paprikash, or as a delightful side dish during the holiday season or really any time.
This recipe makes ~20 pancakes.
A few things…
- ・When peeled potatoes are exposed to oxygen, they change color. They become grey, brown or black. To prevent this, I like to add all the ingredients except the potatoes to the mixing bowl. Then, I shred the potatoes in the food processor, and straight away, I combine them with everything in the mixing bowl. It seems to work well.
- ・If you don’t have access to a food processor or hand grater, you can substitute a 16 ounce package of frozen shredded hash browns for the potatoes, and a 10.7 package of zucchini spirals for the shredded zucchini. I’ve done this in the past with success, but you may need less all-purpose flour (try ½ cup all-purpose flour, instead of ¾ cup).
- ・For baking the pancakes, I placed my oven rack in the second position from the bottom. I tried cooking them in other positions, but this seemed to provide the best overall cook and crispiness.
- ・After baking, maybe the pancakes aren’t quite crispy enough for you? To solve this, place the oven rack in the second position from the top. Place the cookie sheet back in the oven and broil for 1-2 minutes. Keep a close eye on it to prevent burning.
Serve these vegan potato zucchini pancakes topped with chopped parsley, scallions, or chives. Maybe some vegan sour cream? Do what sounds delicious to you.
Please enjoy 💚 And discover more UVK recipes, like Vegan Green Bean Soup, Gnocchi with Pesto and Grilled Eggplant, Zucchini and Cherry Tomatoes, Zucchini Basil Soup or Vegan Strapačky.
Vegan Potato Zucchini Pancakes
4 Tbsp vegan butter, melted
1½ tsp dried marjoram
¾ tsp salt
½ cup vegan sour cream (I used Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream)
¾ cup all-purpose flour
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 medium zucchini, shredded (OR ~2 cups shredded zucchini)*
2 large peeled Russet potatoes, shredded (OR ~5 cups peeled and shredded Russet potatoes)*
*See notes above for substitutions
1. Preheat oven to 400º F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Then, combine all the ingredients for the vegan potato zucchini pancakes in a large mixing bowl.
2. Shape mixture into potato zucchini pancakes and place evenly spaced on the cookie sheet.
3. Put the cookie sheet in the oven. Bake at 400º F for 25 minutes. Remove the cookie sheet from the oven. Flip the pancakes. Return the cookie sheet to the oven, and bake for another 10 minutes.
4. Remove the vegan potato zucchini pancakes from the oven. Serve immediately.