Buckwheat is an important grain-like seed that’s sustained Slavic people for a thousand years. To highlight this delicious pseudocereal and Slavic flavors, I’ve put together this recipe for vegan roasted buckwheat mushroom patties topped with caramelized onions and fresh dill. Roasted buckwheat groats (sometimes, called “kasha”) are combined with potatoes, mushrooms, onions, leeks and more. This baked or pan-fried vegan kasha patties recipe make a delicious buckwheat main meal or side dish.
This recipe makes ~10-12 patties.
A few things…
- ・Use roasted whole buckwheat groats. My favorite brand is Wolff’s Whole Kasha. In the U.S., Wolff’s is available at stores like Safeway or Walmart. There are also other brands of roasted buckwheat groats at Eastern European or international markets.
- ・New to leeks? They trap dirt inside their layers. To clean them, chop off the roots and the green part. Slice the white part lengthwise and fan the layers under a running water to get the dirt out. Then, chop up the white part and use it in the recipe.
- ・This vegan roasted buckwheat mushroom patties recipe has directions for baking or pan-frying. If you’re not sure which technique is for you, I’d like to nudge you towards pan-frying.
- ・Finally, in addition to the caramelized onions and fresh dill, I’ve also enjoyed these vegan roasted buckwheat mushroom patties topped with a few finishing drops of white truffle oil, a touch of beet sauerkraut, sautéed mushrooms or vegan sour cream. All very delicious.
Please enjoy! And check out more UVK recipes, like Vegan Potato and Onion Pierogi, Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup, Sun-Dried Tomato Chickpea Burgers, or Artichoke, Fennel and Farro Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette.
Let’s get cooking 💚
Vegan Roasted Buckwheat Mushroom Patties
4 cups thinly sliced onions
5 Tbsp vegan butter
1 medium Russet potato, peeled and cubed (OR ~1½ cups peeled and cubed Russet potatoes)
1 cup finely chopped onions
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 leek, finely chopped (OR ~⅔ cup finely chopped leeks – white part only)
2½ cups finely chopped white mushrooms (OR an 8 ounce container of sliced mushrooms, finely chopped)
2 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce (or gluten free tamari)
2½ tsp balsamic vinegar
1 cup roasted whole buckwheat groats (see notes above)
2 cups broth (I used 1 Edward & Sons Not-Chick’n Bouillon Cube + 2 cups water)
2 tsp ground flax seed meal
¼-½ tsp salt
Finely chopped fresh dill, to top
1. First, we’ll get started on caramelizing the onions for the vegan roasted buckwheat mushroom patties. In a small skillet, add the sliced onions, 3 Tbsp vegan butter and a dash of salt. Over high heat, stir around until the onions are soft. Turn the heat to low. Stir every 5 minutes until the onions are caramelized (about 25-30 min total cook time).
2. In a small pot, add the potatoes and enough water to submerge them. Bring to boil and then, turn the heat down to medium-low. Boil for ~12 minutes or until very soft. Drain, place in a large mixing bowl, and mash up with a fork. Set aside.
3. Next, you’ll work on the cooking the roasted buckwheat for the vegan mushroom patties. In a large skillet, add the finely chopped onion, 2 Tbsp vegan butter, and a dash of salt. Stir around over medium-high heat for ~5 minutes or until soft and golden. Add the leeks and garlic, and stir around for another minute.
4. Add the mushrooms. Stir around for ~8 minutes or until they are sweated out. Then, add the reduced sodium soy sauce and 2 tsp balsamic. Loosen any bits stuck to the bottom of the skillet and allow the liquid to reduce.
5. Add the broth and the roasted whole buckwheat groats. Bring to a boil, and then, turn the heat down to low. Cover with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes over low. Remove from heat and let it sit covered for 5 more minutes.
6. Remove the lid from the cooked roasted buckwheat. Add it to the large mixing bowl with the mashed up potato. Then, add ¼-½ tsp salt, ½ tsp balsamic vinegar, and the ground flax seed meal. Stir until well combined. Taste and adjust flavors, if needed (more salt? more balsamic vinegar?).
7. Next, you’ll either bake or pan-fry these vegan roasted buckwheat mushroom patties.
- ・TO PAN-FRY: Lightly oil a large skillet. Shape 3-4 patties, and place on the skillet. Fry over low heat for ~3 minutes on each side or until crispy.
- ・TO BAKE: Preheat the oven to 400º F. Line a large sheet pan with parchment. Shape the patties and lightly spray or brush with oil on both sides. Bake at 400º F for ~8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven, flip, and bake another 5-7 minutes or until they are crispy.
8. Serve the vegan roasted buckwheat (or kasha) mushroom patties topped with caramelized onions and fresh dill. Enjoy as a main dish or side dish.