Kuku sabzi is essentially a Persian frittata. It’s heavy on the herbs and greens, but light on the eggs. Traditionally, it’s served at Persian New Year.
This vegan spinach frittata recipe is inspired by the classic Iranian dish, kuku sabzi. Who doesn’t love the idea of a frittata that is more parts leafy greens? Fresh dill, chives, parsley, tarragon and spinach are combined with scallions, leeks and blended silken tofu. It’s easy to make, gluten free and delicious.
Perfect for breakfast, brunch or dinner. And it’s so very good!
Vegan Spinach Frittata with Fresh Herbs
12 ounce package extra firm silken tofu, drained
½ cup flax seed meal
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
1-2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp olive oil
6 scallion, finely chopped
2 leeks (white part only; thoroughly cleaned), finely chopped
½ cup chopped fresh chives
½ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
¼ cup chopped fresh dill
¼ cup chopped fresh tarragon
½ tsp salt
8 cups fresh spinach
1. Preheat oven to 400º F. Grease a tart pan and set aside.
2. Add silken tofu, flax seed meal, garlic powder, onion powder and lemon juice to a blender. Blend until smooth. If it gets too thick, scrape the sides of the blender and add a bit more lemon juice. It should be smooth, but still fairly thick. Set aside.
3. In a skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil, scallions, leeks and a dash of salt. Sauté for ~5 minutes or until the scallions and leeks are soft. Then, turn the heat down to low-medium, and add the chives, parsley, dill, tarragon and ½ tsp salt. Stir around for ~1 minute, and allow herbs to wilt.
4. Add 2 cups spinach to the skillet. Stir it around until it wilts. Then, add another 2 cups of spinach, and stir it around until it wilts. Repeat this process until all 8 cups of spinach have been added and wilted.
5. Remove the skillet from heat. Spoon the blended tofu mixture into the skillet. Stir to combine with the spinach and herbs.
6. Spread in an even layer in a tart pan. Bake uncovered at 400º F for 35-40 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven, and allow to cool 10 minutes before slicing.