This savory vegan tomato tart recipe is perfect for brunch, a light summer meal, or whenever your garden provides more tomatoes and herbs than you know what to do with. It’s so easy to make and delicious.
It’s really important to thin slice the tomatoes. If you don’t, it will either be very wet or take a really long time to bake. I sliced the tomatoes thin, and then blotted them with a paper towel before baking. This did the trick!
Vegan Tomato Tart with Cilantro Mint Chutney
1 sheet frozen vegan puff pastry, thawed at room temperature for 35 minutes
2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 cup fresh cilantro, packed
⅓ cup fresh mint leaves, packed
2-3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 garlic clove
½ Tbsp fresh ginger root, minced
½-1 jalapeño (if sensitive to heat, omit)
½ tsp agave
¼ tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 400º F with a cookie sheet inside it. Grease a tart pan.
2. Put cilantro, mint, garlic, lemon, ginger root, jalapeño, and agave in food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. Taste. If needed, adjust taste (more lemon, more salt?).
3. Press vegan puff pastry into tart pan or pie plate. Trim it until it fits, and then, use the trimmed pieces to fill in any gaps around the sides.
4. Take 2 Tbsp of the chutney and spread evenly across the bottom of the puff pastry.
5. Place the thinly sliced tomatoes over the top of the chutney. Then blot the tomatoes with a paper towel to remove any excess liquid. Sprinkle with salt.
6. Place the tart in the oven on top of the cookie sheet. Bake at 400º F for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Serve topped with the remaining chutney.