This was one of UVK’s first recipes. It’s been through several revisions over the years, but this is by far, the best vegan tofu quiche recipe of them all. A tofu quiche with sun-dried tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, arugula and a little vegan parmesan? Yes please!
A few things…
- ・This recipe for vegan quiche is not meant to taste like eggs. To some degree, it has the texture.
- ・This recipe uses a frozen vegan pie crust, Wholly Wholesome Gluten Free 9″ Pie Crust. You can choose a different crust, just make sure to bake it before adding the filling. It will prevent the crust from becoming soggy.
- ・This vegan quiche needs to stay in the oven until the center is firm. It takes ~30-35 minutes. After you remove it from the oven, cool for a few minutes before slicing.
This recipe for vegan tofu quiche tastes awesome for brunch, lunch or dinner. It’s very good with a little drizzle of balsamic reduction over it. Yum!
Vegan Tofu Quiche with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Mushrooms and Arugula
1 9″ frozen pie shell, thawed (I used a Wholly Wholesome Gluten Free 9″ Pie Shell)
16 ounce package of extra firm tofu, drained
3 Tbsp chickpea flour
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup julienned sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil (+ 2 tsp of the oil from the jar)
¾ cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup fresh arugula, packed
¼ cup vegan parmesan (I used Good Planet Plant Based Cheese Parmesan)
Balsamic reduction, to serve drizzled over the top – optional
1. First, you’re going to bake your pie crust for the tofu quiche. If using a frozen Wholly Wholesome Gluten Free 9″ Pie Shell, preheat oven to 400º F. Bake pie shell for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from oven, and allow to cool.
2. While the pie crust is baking, add the extra firm tofu, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder and salt to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
3. In a skillet, add the sun-dried tomatoes, 2 tsp of oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes, the onions and the garlic. Sauté over medium heat for ~5 minutes or until the onions are soft.
4. Add the sliced mushrooms and turn the heat up to medium-high. Stir them around constantly for ~5 minutes or until the mushrooms are sweated out and cooked through.
5. Add the arugula. Stir around for 20 seconds or until it wilts. Remove the skillet from heat.
6. Spoon the tofu-chickpea flour mixture into the skillet. Add the vegan parmesan. Stir together–scraping off any browned bits off the bottom of the skillet and incorporating them into the tofu quiche filling.
7. Using a spatula, dump the tofu quiche filling into the baked pie crust. Then, spread the filling evenly.
8. Bake at 375º F for 30-35 minutes or until the center is firm. Remove from the oven, and allow to cool for a few minutes. Serve this vegan tofu quiche drizzled with balsamic reduction (optional).