This vegan tomato soup is inspired by the North African and Middle Eastern dish, shakshouka. It uses a spice blend that includes fresh mint, parsley, cumin, paprika and coriander. If you are used to tomato-basil soup, this is a nice departure.
While it may seem out of the box to put fresh mint in a tomato soup, it tastes right at home here. It works so well, I question why I didn’t add it to a tomato soup sooner.
Admittedly, ten cloves of roasted garlic seems like a lot on the surface, but roasted garlic is much mellower than raw garlic. And it creates a round flavor that just can’t be accomplished with raw garlic. Plus, it’s easy to make your own roasted garlic!
This tastes amazing with toasted crusty bread. Enjoy!
Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp olive oil
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp ground cumin
28 ounce can of no salt petite diced tomatoes
1 cup water
1 cube bouillon (fake chicken or vegetable)
10 roasted garlic cloves (OR 1 entire bulb of roasted garlic – It’s easy to make your own!)
1 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
1. In a large, heavy pot or a dutch oven, heat olive oil with onions and a dash of salt over high heat. When the onion sizzles, stir it around constantly for 5 minutes or until the onions are sweated out and soft.
2. Lower the heat to low. Stirring the onions every 5 minutes, sauté for 15 minutes. The onions should become golden (see photo above).
3. Add the coriander, paprika and ground cumin to the pot. Stir around for a minute over medium-low heat.
4. Stir in the tomatoes, water, and bouillon cube until well combined.
5. Add the roasted garlic cloves to a blender. Then, ladle ~½ of the soup into the blender. Secure the lid on the blender, and blend until smooth.
6. Pour the contents of the blender back into the soup pot. Cover the soup in the pot with a lid. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes.
7. Stir in the mint and parsley. Taste, and adjust seasonings, if needed (more salt?). Serve with crusty bread.