Is gazpacho vegan? Usually. Traditionally, the Spanish cold soup is vegan, but sometimes, it’s garnished with meat. And other times, the preparation uses ingredients that are not vegan. When in doubt, find out or better yet, make your own! And this vegan tomato gazpacho recipe couldn’t be easier. Like many modern gazpacho recipes, you add the ingredients to a blender, and blend. Simple.
It makes ~4 servings.
A few things…
- ・For this vegan gazpacho, I used grape tomatoes, but you could try others, like cherry, heirloom, better boy, etc.
- ・Sherry vinegar tastes best, but you can also use white wine vinegar or red wine vinegar.
- ・The amount of vinegar needed will hinge on the acidity in the tomatoes. Before adding the vinegar, taste the soup and decide from there.
- ・If you prefer a thinner gazpacho, add some water while it’s blending until it’s the consistency you like. You may need to adjust the seasonings.
- ・The garnish makes this soup! Add croutons, olive oil, tomatoes, cucumbers, mint leaves, or toasted sliced almonds.
This vegan gazpacho recipe should keep for a day or two in the refrigerator. If you have any leftovers, it tastes even better the next day 🙂
Let’s go blend 💚
4 cups whole grape tomatoes
¾ cup chopped English cucumber
1 medium red pepper, cored and quartered
1 small garlic clove
2 cups stale bread cubes (I sliced up an old ciabatta loaf)
1-2 Tbsp sherry vinegar (see notes above)
½ tsp smoked paprika
½-1 tsp salt
¼ cup olive oil
Water, to thin – optional
Diced tomatoes, to top
Diced cucumbers, to top
Croutons, to top – (store bought or make your own)
1. In a large blender, add the tomatoes, cucumber, red pepper, scallions, garlic, stale bread cubes, sherry vinegar, smoked paprika and salt.
2. Secure the lid, and blend. As it blends, pour in the olive oil. Blend until very smooth. If too thick, blend in some water until it’s a consistency you like. Taste, and adjust seasonings, if needed (salt? more sherry vinegar?).
3. Serve this vegan gazpacho chilled and topped with croutons, tomatoes and cucumbers.