Whether you enjoy this as a warm side dish or as a cold salad, this is a flavorful, easy vegan roasted fennel and beets recipe with sherry vinegar, orange juice and zest, walnuts and dried cranberries. It’s great for the fall, winter, holidays and more.
This recipe makes ~4 servings.
A few things…
- ・I like to peel beets with a vegetable peeler and then, give them a quick rinse. For me, it’s easier than scrubbing them and leaving the skin on. Do what you like!
- ・Use a large navel orange for the juice and the zest. This video does a great job demonstrating how to zest an orange.
- ・Not eating the roasted beets and fennel right away? Reserve the toasted walnuts and add right before serving.
Please enjoy! 💚
Roasted Fennel and Beets
4 cups peeled and chopped beets (OR ~2 medium beets, peeled and chopped)
3½ cups sliced fennel (OR ~2 fennel bulbs, sliced)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
Black pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp chopped walnuts
2 Tbsp sherry vinegar
2 Tbsp orange juice
½ tsp fresh orange zest (see note above)
½ tsp dijon mustard
2 Tbsp finely chopped dried cranberries
1. Preheat the oven to 425º F. Line a large sheet pan with parchment. Set aside.
2. Next, add the beets and fennel to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with ½ tsp salt and black pepper to taste. Stir to coat.
3. Spread the fennel and beets in an even layer across the parchment lined sheet pan. Bake at 425º F for 35-40 minutes or until they are roasted.
4. While you wait on the roasting fennel and beets, add the walnuts to a small, dry skillet. Stir around over medium-high heat for ~1 minute or until fragrant and toasted. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
5. In a large mixing bowl, add the sherry vinegar, orange juice, fresh orange zest, dijon mustard, and ½ tsp salt. Whisk together. Then, add the roasted fennel and beets to the large mixing bowl and mix together. Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed (more salt?).
6. Top with toasted walnuts and dried cranberries. Serve roasted fennel and beets as a warm side dish or as a cold salad.