Loaded with the delightful chewy grains and roasted carrots, parsnips and beets, this vegan farro salad recipe is delicious warm or cold, and packs a flavorful punch with its orange balsamic vinaigrette. The dressing has it all–olive oil infused with red onion, orange juice, orange zest, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard and fennel powder. With the right amount of salt and black pepper to balance it all out, it’s the perfect salad dressing for the roasted root vegetables and farro.
This recipe for vegan farro salad with roasted root vegetables holds up well. It can be made ahead of time. Right before serving, taste the salad, and if necessary, refresh the flavors. It may need just a touch more balsamic vinegar or salt.
This recipes makes ~4 servings.
A few things…
- ・Not a big orange juice drinker? Buy 1 navel orange. Zest it and then, juice it.
- ・No fennel powder on hand? It’s better with it, but still good without it.
- ・If you’ve got some leftover farro salad, try mixing in some arugula for a tasty variation.
Please enjoy! And don’t miss other UVK delicious recipes, like Artichoke, Fennel and Farro Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette, Roasted Parsnip Soup, Italian Tempeh with Peppers, Onions and Herbed Farro or Asparagus Salad with Walnuts, Farro and Lemon Vinaigrette.
Farro Salad with Roasted Root Vegetables
4 cups broth (I used 2 Edward & Sons Not-Chick’n Bouillon Cubes + 4 cups water)
2 cups water
1 cup farro
1 cup small diced carrots
1 cup small diced parsnips
1 cup small diced beets
2 Tbsp + ¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup chopped red onion
¼ cup orange juice
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp fresh orange zest
¼-½ tsp fennel powder
½ tsp dijon mustard
½ tsp salt
Black pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp finely chopped raw walnuts
1. First, you’ll make the farro for the grain salad. In a medium saucepan, add the broth and water. Cover and bring to a boil. Add the farro. Lower to a simmer uncovered for ~30 minutes or until soft enough to enjoy eating. Drain in a colander and set aside to cool.
2.While the farro is boiling, preheat the oven to 375º F. Line a large sheet pan with non-stick aluminum foil. Set aside.
3. Next you’ll roast the root vegetables for the farro salad. Add the carrots, parsnips, beets and 2 Tbsp olive oil to a large mixing bowl. Season with a dash of salt and black pepper. Stir around until well coated.
4. Spread the carrots, parsnips and beets in a single layer across the sheet pan. Bake at 375º F for 25-30 minutes, or until tender enough to enjoy eating. Remove from the oven and set aside.
5. Now, it’s time to work on the vegan dressing for the farro salad. While the veggies are roasting, add ¼ cup olive oil and the red onion to a small skillet over high heat. When it just begins to sizzle, stir around the red onions for 20 seconds. Be careful not to allow anything to brown or burn. Then, remove from heat and allow to cool.
6. When the onions and olive oil have completely cooled, add them to the large mixing bowl. Then, add the orange juice, balsamic vinegar, orange zest, fennel powder, dijon mustard, salt and black pepper. Whisk together.
7. Add the cooked farro, roasted vegetables, parsley and walnuts. Stir together and taste. Adjust seasonings, if necessary (more balsamic? salt?). Enjoy the vegan farro salad with roasted root vegetables warm or cold.