Parsnips taste a bit like carrots, but a hint earthier. When they’re roasted, they get sweeter and possess a starchy texture. They’re a delicious addition to many soups, so why not make them the star? Thus, UVK brings you this easy vegan roasted parsnip soup recipe with potatoes, apples, garlic, onion, dried rosemary and more. Enjoy a comforting bowl of parsnip soup throughout the autumn months, holidays, or in the dead of winter. And don’t forget to top it with some homemade vegan croutons!
This vegan roasted parsnip soup makes 4 servings.
A few things…
- ・During prep, try to dice your veggies into uniform bite-size pieces. They’ll cook through more evenly.
- ・Periodically, check on the roasted veggies in the oven. When they are toasty, they’re done. The “toasty” exterior brings the flavor!
- ・If your blender is on the smaller side, you may need to blend the parsnip soup in smaller batches to get the job done. A large blender or using an immersion blender will not require this.
Please enjoy this delicious recipe for vegan roasted parsnip soup! And don’t miss more UVK recipes like Farro Salad with Roasted Root Vegetables, Vegan Green Bean Casserole, Winter White Bean Soup, Roasted Breakfast Potatoes, or Roasted Fennel and Beets.
Roasted Parsnip Soup
2 cups peeled and chopped parsnips (OR ~3 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped)
2 cups peeled and chopped Russet potatoes (OR 1 large Russet potato, peeled and chopped)
1½ cups peeled and chopped Honeycrisp apple (OR 1 large Honeycrisp apple, peeled and chopped)
2 cups chopped onion
4 garlic cloves, peeled
2 Tbsp olive oil
½ tsp salt (+ more salt to taste at the end)
¾ tsp dried rosemary
Black pepper, to taste
2 cups fake chicken broth (I used 1 cube of Edward and Sons Not-Chick’n Bouillon + 2 cups water)
2½ cups water
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
½ tsp ground mustard
Croutons, to top – (store bought or make your own) optional
1. Preheat the oven to 425º F. Line a large sheet pan with parchment. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add the parsnips, potatoes, apples, onions, garlic, olive oil, ½ tsp salt, dried rosemary and black pepper (to taste). Stir until everything is coated.
3. Now, it’s time to roast everything for the vegan parsnip soup. Spread the contents of the mixing bowl in an even layer across the lined sheet pan. Bake at 425º F for 45-60 minutes or until everything is toasty on the outside (see photo above).
4. Add the roasted parsnips, potatoes, apples, onions, and garlic to a blender with the broth, water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, ground mustard, and salt (I added another ½ tsp). Blend until completely smooth.
5. Pour the vegan roasted parsnip soup into a large pot. Warm over low heat until it’s hot enough for you (~5-10 minutes). Too thick? Thin with additional water. Taste, and adjust seasonings, if needed (more lemon juice? salt?). Serve topped with homemade vegan croutons.