This is one creamy recipe for vegan winter white bean soup with cauliflower, potatoes and rosemary. It uses easy to find ingredients, and cooks up pretty fast (~30 minutes). Rosemary and red pepper flakes create delicious flavor, especially with the synergy of a good broth (like Better than Bouillon No Chicken Base) and lemon juice!
It makes 4 servings.
A few things…
・I used fresh rosemary in this vegan winter white bean soup, but you can substitute 1 tsp dried rosemary. If you sub in dried rosemary, taste it at the end, and add more, if needed.
- ・Red pepper flakes can be tricky. Some brands are quite hot. Others are barely mild. I offer a range in this recipe of ¼-½ tsp, because you never know. If you’re cautious of heat, start on the low end. You can never add less, but you can always add more 😊
- ・I also use great northern beans, but really any white bean will do. Just make sure to follow the directions, and add ½ the beans with the broth and the other ½ at the end. White beans tend to break down while they are simmering. Staggering when you add them ensures that there are some recognizable beans in the soup, and that the end result isn’t just one big bowl of mush.
This easy cauliflower white bean soup is perfect for winter, when you have about 30 minutes to cook, and/or want to impress people with a creamy soup that has absolutely no dairy in it. Maybe pair it with some Vegan Stuffed Shells or Vegan Antipasto Salad?
Discover additional UVK recipes, like Vegan Cauliflower Leek Soup, Fennel and White Bean Salad, Roasted Cauliflower with Lemon Tahini and Za’atar, Roasted Parsnip Soup, White Bean Hummus with Roasted Garlic and Crispy Sage, Curried Cauliflower Soup and more.
With all the great content out there, I cannot tell you enough how much I appreciate you spending your time here. Thank you 💚
Winter White Bean Soup
2 tsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1 large Russet potato, peeled and cubed
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 cups bite-size cauliflower florets
¼-½ tsp red pepper flakes (adjust the heat to suit your preferences)
3 cups broth (I used Better than Bouillon No Chicken Base mixed with water)
2 15.5 ounce cans of great northern beans (or the white bean of your choice), drained and rinsed
1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary (OR 1 tsp dried rosemary)
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ cup lemon juice
2 Tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Salt, to taste
1. First, you’ll sauté the aromatics for the vegan winter white bean soup. In a large heavy pot or dutch oven, add the olive oil, onion and garlic with a dash of salt over medium heat. Stirring occasionally, sauté for ~5-7 minutes or until the onions turn somewhat golden.
2. Over low heat, stir in the potatoes, celery, cauliflower, and red pepper flakes. Continue to cook over low heat for about 5 minutes. Make sure to stir to prevent it from sticking to the bottom too much.
3. Stir in the broth, ½ the white beans, the rosemary, and the garlic powder. Bring to a boil, turn down to low heat and cover with a lid. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the potatoes and cauliflower are soft.
4. Add the lemon juice and ⅓ of the white bean soup to a blender. Secure the lid, and blend until completely smooth. Pour back into the big pot and stir until it’s fully incorporated with the rest of the soup.
5. Stir in the other ½ of the beans and the fresh parsley. Simmer over low for 2 minutes or until the beans are cooked through. Taste the vegan winter white bean soup, and adjust seasonings, if needed (more salt? More lemon juice?). Serve.