This vegan stuffed shells recipe has tofu ricotta, spinach and fennel bulb. It’s garlicky, savory and totally nut free. And best of all, it’s super delicious and easy to make.
A few things…
- ・It takes awhile for the water to boil for the pasta shells. Use this time to make the filling for the stuffed shells.
- ・I used a jar of Mezzetta Marinara Sauce, but you could also use your favorite jar or make your own sauce.
- ・The amount of vegan cheese you use is up to you! I recommend ¾ cup, but you could also use more or none at all. I used Follow Your Heart Mozzarella Shreds.
- ・If you can’t finish the leftovers, save them in the freezer for another time. This dish freezes very well!
This recipe for vegan stuffed shells works great for dinner, but it also is nice at the holidays, like Thanksgiving or Christmas.
Vegan Stuffed Shells with Tofu Ricotta, Spinach and Fennel
24 jumbo pasta shells (OR ~½ of a 12 ounce box of jumbo pasta shells)
1 batch tofu ricotta
2 tsp olive oil
¾ cup onion, finely chopped
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
½ cup fennel bulb, finely chopped
½ cup fresh spinach, finely chopped
¾ cup vegan mozzarella shreds, optional (see note above)
2½ cups pasta sauce (OR 24 ounce jar of store bought pasta sauce)
Finely chopped parsley, to top
1. Fill a large pot with water. Place on the stove, and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the jumbo shells, and boil for ~9 minutes (or according to the directions on the package). Drain, rinse with cold water to keep them from sticking together and cover with a damp towel to prevent them from drying out. Set aside.
2. While you’re waiting for the water to boil for the jumbo shells, make the tofu ricotta by following this recipe. Then, set the tofu ricotta aside.
3. In a skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil, onion and a dash of salt. Stir around for 3 minutes or until the onion is soft.
4. Add the fennel and stir around for another 3-5 minutes or until the fennel is soft. Stir in the garlic, and sauté an additional minute. Remove from heat.
5. Spoon the contents of the skillet into the mixing bowl with the tofu ricotta. Add the spinach and ½ cup vegan mozzarella (if using). Mix together.
6. Preheat the oven to 400º F. And then, grease a 9″ X 13″ pan. Then, spread ½ of the pasta sauce evenly across the bottom of the pan.
7. Stuff a jumbo shell with the tofu ricotta mixture, and then, place it on top of the pasta sauce in the pan. Continue stuffing shells until all are complete.
8. Top the stuffed shells with the remaining pasta sauce. And then, sprinkle with ¼ cup (or more) of vegan mozzarella, if using.