This vegan pear galette recipe is a savory-sweet pastry filled with pears, pecans, fennel bulb, and vegan smoked gouda. The smell of it baking was exquisite. And it filled our home with anticipation. We couldn’t wait to slice and serve it.
- ・The glory of a galette lies in it’s imperfection. You roll some dough out into something vaguely circular, add the filling to the center, and then, fold up the sides of the dough. The rough edges and lack of perfect symmetry give it an undeniable rustic charm.
- ・I layered the pears in the filling to look kind of like a sunburst. If you just want to put them in a layer without a design, do it. This savory vegan pear galette pastry is about flavor, not pressure!
If you enjoy making galettes, you may also enjoy Vegan Cornmeal Galette with Sweet Potatoes, Black-Eyed Peas and Greens. And discover more UVK recipes, like Orangy Quinoa Salad with Cranberries, Pears and Pumpkin Seeds, Roasted Fennel and Beets, or Pear Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing.
Let’s get to it 💚
Vegan Pear Galette with Pecans and Fennel
Vegan Galette Dough:
½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp turbinado sugar
6 Tbsp cold vegan butter
Pinch of salt
¼ cup very cold water
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1 small fennel bulb, sliced
3 ounces vegan smoked gouda cheese, sliced (I used Daiya Smoked Gouda)
2 D’anjou pears, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp lemon juice, divided
1 Tbsp melted non-dairy butter
¼ cup chopped pecans
1. First, you’ll make the vegan galette dough. In a large mixing bowl, add whole wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, a pinch of salt, and 6 Tbsp of cold non-dairy butter. Using your hands or a fork, break up the butter into the flour mixture.
2. When the mixture looks like coarse sand (see photo above), add very, very cold water, and form dough into a ball. Try to only knead together 3-4 times, so you don’t overwork it. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. While your dough is chilling, prep the filling for the pear galette. Mix 1 Tbsp lemon juice and melted butter in a large mixing bowl. Add the sliced pears and toss them around. Set aside.
4. In a medium skillet, add the olive oil, shallots and a dash of salt over low heat. Shallots cook very quickly, so keep an eye on them and move them around. After about 2 minutes, add the fennel bulb, and sauté until the fennel is softened (~5 minutes). At the end of sautéing, Add 1 Tbsp lemon juice, and allow it to evaporate away.
5. Preheat the oven to 400º F. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the vegan galette dough into a rough circle. Fold the dough into fourths, and transfer it to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Unfold the dough back into the imperfect circle.
6. Layer the shallots and fennel in the center. Then, add a layer of the smoked gouda followed by the sliced pears. Finally, top with the pecans.
7. Fold up the sides over the filling (see photo above). Bake in the oven at 400º F for 40-50 minutes. Remove the savory vegan pear galette from the oven, and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Slice and serve.