If you’re looking for a homemade vegan feta recipe with tofu, this is it. It’s salty, acidic, and a touch herbaceous. While using extra firm tofu helps cut down on the fat, there’s also plenty of protein, texture and flavor.
This DIY vegan feta cheese is best served cold. As it’s made of tofu, it does not melt at all. It stays firm and crumbly.
A few things…
- ・Prefer a softer texture? Use firm tofu, instead of the extra firm noted in the recipe.
- ・Pressing the tofu helps it soak up the brine. It’s essential to the process.
- ・ It takes a lot of salt to create a brine. Two teaspoons feels like a lot, but it’s necessary.
Store this vegan feta cheese in the fridge and use within ~3 days. Use your judgment.
¼ cup olive oil
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
⅓ cup red wine vinegar
¼ cup water
½ Tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme (OR ¼ tsp dried thyme)
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano (OR 1 tsp dried oregano)
2 tsp salt
8 ounce package of extra firm tofu, drained, pressed and cut into small cubes
1. First, you’ll make the brine. In a large, container with a lid, add all the vegan feta ingredients EXCEPT the tofu. Whisk together until the salt is completely dissolved.
2. Next, add the tofu, and seal the container with the lid. Shake the container and toss the tofu in the feta marinade. Refrigerate for, at least, 8 hours or overnight. Then, use on anything you want, like salads, on pizza, in pasta dishes or whatever sounds amazing with feta on it!