If you’re looking for a homemade vegan feta recipe, this is it. It’s salty, acidic, and a touch herbaceous. While using extra firm tofu helps cut down on the fat, there’s also plenty of protein, texture and flavor!
This faux feta cheese works well in salads, on pizzas, and in pasta dishes. Or serve this as part of a vegan charcuterie board along with grapes, tapenade, crackers, roasted nuts, hummus, and fresh veggies! The options are endless, but I see many picnics, cookouts, parties, and solo salads in this DIY vegan feta cheese’s future.
A few things…
- ・Prefer a softer texture? Use a firm tofu, instead of the extra firm noted in the recipe.
- ・Pressing the tofu helps it soak up the brine. It’s essential to the process.
- ・ It takes a lot of salt to create a brine. Two teaspoons feels like a lot, but it’s needed.
This vegan feta cheese will keep in the fridge for about 3-5 days.
¼ cup olive oil
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
⅓ cup red wine vinegar
¼ cup water
½ Tbsp fresh thyme , finely chopped (OR ¼ tsp dried thyme)
1 Tbsp fresh oregano, finely chopped (OR 1 tsp dried oregano)
2 tsp salt
8 ounce package of extra firm tofu, drained, pressed and cut into small cubes
1. In a large, sealable container with a lid, add all the ingredients EXCEPT the tofu. Whisk together until the salt is completely dissolved.
2. Add the tofu, and seal the container with the lid. Once the container is completely sealed, shake the container and toss the tofu in the marinade. Refrigerate for, at least, 8 hours or overnight. Then, use on anything you want—with salads, on pizza, in pasta dishes… whatever sounds amazing with feta on it!