This easy vegan grilled portobello mushroom sandwich recipe is incredibly simple and flavorful. If you love olives and mushrooms, it’s the vegan olive tapenade and mushroom sandwich you’ve been waiting for! It’s savory, salty, and perfect for summer grill season.
This recipe makes 4 sandwiches. Choose portobello mushrooms that are large enough to be sandwich worthy (a little larger than the width of your hand).
I recommend using my Kalamata Olive Tapenade, because it is good, quick and easy. But to save even more time, you can also use a prepackaged vegan olive tapenade of your choice on this sandwich.
Please enjoy! And check out more UVK vegan recipes, like Mushroom Farro Burgers, Vegan California Benedict with Portobello Mushroom, or Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Lentils and Breadcrumbs.
Grilled Portobello Mushroom Sandwich with Kalamata Olive Tapenade, Avocado, Tomato and Arugula
4 Tbsp Kalamata Olive Tapenade (or a prepackaged vegan olive tapenade)
4 whole portobello mushrooms
8 slices of thick white bread
Vegan butter, enough to butter one side of each slice of bread (or ~4 Tbsp)
Salt and black pepper, to season the bread
1 large tomato, sliced
1 large avocado, sliced
1-2 cups arugula
1. Line a large, shallow grill-proof pan with non-stick aluminum foil. Place the mushrooms on it, cap side down. Smear 1 Tbsp Kalamata Olive Tapenade across the gills of the mushroom. Grill the mushrooms for ~15 minutes or until they are cooked through. Allow them to sit for at least 3 minutes, so the juices can absorb back into the mushroom (they can be a bit too watery otherwise!).
2. While the grilled mushrooms are resting, butter one side of each slice of white bread, then lightly season with a tiny bit of salt and a touch of black pepper.
3. Place the buttered side of the bread down on the hot grill for ~5 seconds or until it looks sufficiently grilled to you.
4. Remove the bread from the grill.
5. Place the tomato, avocado, and arugula on one side of bread, and one portobello mushroom (cap side down) on the bread on the other. Assemble the sandwich. Saw in half with a large serrated knife. Serve immediately.