This recipe for vegan cheesy grits first came out several years ago. It was embedded in another recipe, which was a shame. It is so creamy and delicious, and felt like it deserved it’s own post.
You can enjoy them for breakfast, as a savory meal, or as a gluten free side dish. It tastes incredible paired with Slow Cooker Vegan Coconut Collard Greens. It also tastes awesome with crumbled Easy Tempeh Bacon (or store bought vegan bacon). And sometimes, I like to add both greens and vegan bacon. Yum!
So what makes this vegan cheesy grits recipe so creamy? A blended package of silken tofu. That’s right. It makes the texture creamy and somewhat indulgent. But really, it’s just silken tofu.
Thanks stopping by 💚 Check out more UVK recipes, like Vegan Grits and Greens Casserole, Vegan Cheesy Potato and Bacon Pierogi, Semolina Porridge, Smoky Medjool Date BBQ Jackfruit, or Vegan Funeral Potatoes.
Vegan Cheesy Grits
12.3 ounce package of silken soft tofu
2 Tbsp vegan butter
2 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
2 cups fake chicken broth
2 ½ cups water
1 ½ cups coarse yellow corn grits
½ tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
½ cup vegan shredded cheddar cheese
1. First, we’ll prep the tofu for the vegan cheesy grits. In a blender or food processor, add the silken soft tofu and blend until very, very smooth. Set aside.
2. In a large, heavy pot or dutch oven, add vegan butter and garlic cloves over medium heat. When it just starts sizzling, turn it down to low. Be careful not to brown or burn the garlic. Sauté for 1 minute, constantly moving it around to flavor the butter.
3. Add the broth and water to the pot. Cover and bring it to a boil.
4. Add the corn grits and blended silken tofu. Turn the burner down to low heat. Constantly stir for 5-7 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and stir in dijon, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and vegan cheese. Taste the vegan cheesy grits, and adjust seasonings, if needed (More nutritional yeast? salt? cheese?). Serve with your favorite toppings.