Church potlucks. Family gatherings. The perfect potato dish to bring over to a neighbor going through something. That’s right, I’m talking about funeral potatoes. A classic American casserole for people who love casseroles. I’m looking at you, Midwest and Intermountain West!
So, what are funeral potatoes? They’re a crowd-pleasing casserole that got their name, because they are often served at after-funeral gatherings.
This vegan funeral potatoes recipe has it all–cornflakes, a homemade vegan cheese sauce, and hashbrowns. It’s hearty, savory, and delicious. It would work awesome as a side dish for Thanksgiving or any time you’re in the mood for a vegan cheesy hashbrown casserole.
It is so easy to put together, but does take some time to bake (40-45 minutes). If you don’t have access to a high speed blender (like a Vitamix or Ninja), you can still make this recipe. Just soak the cashews in water for ~4-6 hours, drain off the water, and use them in a regular blender.
Vegan Funeral Potatoes
2 cups sweet onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
8 Tbsp vegan butter
⅔ cup carrots, chopped
2 cups fake chicken broth
1 cup raw cashews
¼ cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp white miso
1 tsp lemon juice
½ tsp dijon mustard
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic powder
32 ounce package of frozen cubed hashbrowns
3 cups gluten free cornflakes
Salt, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350º F. Grease a 9″ X 13″ casserole dish. Set aside.
2. In a large pot, add onions, garlic, 2 Tbsp vegan butter and a dash of salt. Saute over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until the onions become golden. Add the carrots, and saute another 2 minutes.
3. Add the broth to the pot, cover with a lid, and simmer for 5 minutes. Then, add the contents of the pot to a high speed blender (like a Vitamix).
4. Add raw cashews, nutritional yeast, white miso, lemon juice, dijon, onion powder, and garlic powder to the high speed blender. Blend everything together until completely smooth. Taste, and adjust seasonings, if needed (more salt?).
5. Pour the vegan cheese sauce in the high speed blender into a large mixing bowl. Add the frozen cubed hashbrowns. Mix together.
6. Spread the hashbrown mixture across the casserole dish in an even layer (see photo above).
7. Melt the remaining 6 Tbsp of vegan butter. Add to a mixing bowl, then add the cornflakes. Mix together until the cornflakes are coated in melted vegan butter. If they aren’t coated well enough for you, add a little more melted butter and mix again.
8. Layer the cornflakes over the top of the hashbrown mixture in the casserole dish (see photo above). Bake at 350º F for 40-50 minutes. Remove from oven, and serve.