I might be someone that has mistakenly called a Brussels sprout, a “brussel sprout”. I had no idea those tiny cabbages were named after Brussels, Belgium! Regardless of how you’ve said it, maybe we can agree that they can be absolutely delicious? And this recipe for vegan Brussels sprout soup with potatoes attempts just that!
Pair them with caraway seeds, mustard powder, a little smoked paprika and white wine vinegar, and wow, you’ve got an incredible Brussels sprout soup that cooks up fast, and tastes absolutely delicious. It makes ~4 servings.
It’s challenging to have leftovers when the pot disappears 😊
Check out additional UVK recipes, like Vegan Brussels Sprout Slaw with Cranberries, Apples and Walnuts, Slow Cooker Tempeh Sauerkraut Stew, Vegan Potato and Onion Pierogi, Slow Cooker Seitan Goulash, Roasted Baby Carrots with Leeks, Lemon Zest and Parsley, and more.
Vegan Brussels Sprout Soup with Potatoes
2 Tbsp vegan butter
1½ cup chopped white onion
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tsp mustard powder
½ tsp caraway seeds
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp smoked paprika
2½ cups peeled and chopped bite-size pieces of Russet potatoes
4 cups fake chicken broth (I used 2 Edward & Sons Not Chick’n Bouillon Cubes + 4 cups of water)
2 bay leaves
4 cups sliced Brussels sprouts
1 cup unsweetened vegan milk (I used Good Karma Unsweetened Flax Milk)
1-2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
¼-½ tsp salt
1. In a large, heavy pot or dutch oven, add the vegan butter, onion, and a dash of salt. Sauté over medium heat for ~5 minutes or until the onions are transparent and soft. Add the garlic, mustard powder, caraway seeds, garlic powder and smoked paprika. Stir around for another minute.
2. Add the potatoes, broth and the bay leaves. Cover with a lid, and bring to a boil.
3. When the broth is boiling, remove the lid, add the Brussels sprouts, and turn the heat down to medium-low. Simmer for 7-10 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
4. Remove the pot from heat, and add ~2 cups of the vegetables from the soup to a blender or food processor. Be very careful not to get a bay leaf. Add the unsweetened vegan milk. Blend together until smooth.
5. Add the blended vegan Brussels sprout soup back to the pot. Stir in the white wine vinegar, and the salt. Taste, and adjust seasonings (more vinegar? more salt?). Serve.