This seitan steak sandwich recipe is delicious. It’s the perfect vegan sandwich for crushing hunger, because it’s just that hearty. And it’s really easy to make!
A few things…
- ・You can use store bought or homemade seitan in this recipe. If you’re making your own seitan, it takes over an hour to prepare. Plan ahead.
- ・If using store bought seitan, two 8 ounce packages of sliced seitan does the trick. Cut them into strips. It may be a little more than 2 cups (like 2½ cups), but it’s totally fine.
- ・As a variation, you can add some sliced portobello mushrooms in with seitan. They soak up the marinade nicely, and work well in the sandwich.
This recipe makes 4 seitan sandwiches. If you enjoy this recipe, you may also enjoy the recipe for Slow Cooker Vegan Italian Beef!
Seitan Steak Sandwich
2 cups sliced seitan (use homemade or store bought)
1 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 cup sliced red pepper
1 cup sliced green pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
4 ciabatta rolls
Arugula, to top – optional
1. In a large mixing bowl, make a batch of vegan Worcestershire sauce by following this recipe.
2. Add the seitan to the mixing bowl. Stir the seitan until it’s well coated with the vegan Worcestershire sauce. Set aside to marinate.
3. In a large skillet, add the red onion, red pepper, green pepper, olive oil and a dash of salt. Stirring every now and then, sauté over medium-high heat for ~4 minutes or until the onions and peppers are soft.
4. Add the marinated seitan, garlic cloves, and 2-3 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce from the mixing bowl to the skillet. Reserve the remaining vegan Worcestershire sauce (it may need a bit more at the end).
5. Continue stirring over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes or until the liquid from the sauce evaporates and everything is cooked through.
6. Taste, and then, adjust seasonings (Add more vegan Worcestershire? Maybe some soy sauce, if it isn’t salty enough?). Serve on a ciabatta bun topped with arugula.