This vegan seitan steak sandwich recipe is loaded with bell peppers and onions. It’s perfect for crushing hunger, because it’s just that hearty. And it’s really easy to make!
A few things…
- ・You can use store bought or homemade seitan in this recipe. If you’re making your own seitan, it takes over an hour to prepare. Plan ahead.
- ・If using store bought seitan, two 8 ounce packages of sliced seitan does the trick. Cut them into strips. It may be a little more than 2 cups (like 2½ cups), but it’s totally fine.
- ・As a variation, you can add some sliced portobello mushrooms in with seitan. They soak up the marinade nicely, and work well in the sandwich.
This recipe makes 4 vegan seitan steak sandwiches.
Discover more UVK recipes, like Slow Cooker Vegan Italian Beef, Seitan Beef Stew, Vegan Stuffed Red Peppers with Chickpeas and Rice, Creamy Chickpea Salad Sandwiches, Kale Pesto Sandwich with Seitan and Apples, and more.
Seitan Steak Sandwich
1 batch vegan Worcestershire sauce
2 cups sliced seitan (use homemade or store bought)
1 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 cup sliced red pepper
1 cup sliced green pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
4 ciabatta rolls
Arugula, to top – optional
1. First, put together the marinade for the vegan seitan steak sandwich. In a large mixing bowl, make a batch of the Worcestershire sauce by following this recipe.
2. Next, add the seitan steak strips to the mixing bowl. Stir the seitan until it’s well coated with the vegan Worcestershire sauce. Set aside to marinate.
3. In a large skillet, add the red onion, red pepper, green pepper, olive oil and a dash of salt. Stirring every now and then, sauté over medium-high heat for ~4 minutes or until the onions and peppers are soft.
4. Add the marinated seitan, garlic cloves, and 2-3 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce from the mixing bowl to the skillet. Reserve the remaining vegan Worcestershire sauce (it may need a bit more at the end).
5. Continue stirring over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes or until the liquid from the sauce evaporates and everything is cooked through.
6. When your vegan seitan steak sandwich filling is done, taste, and then, adjust seasonings (Add more Worcestershire? Maybe some soy sauce, if it isn’t salty enough?). Serve the vegan steak strips on a ciabatta bun topped with arugula.
2 responses to “Seitan Steak Sandwich”
A very interesting recipe. Is seitan the same thing as tofu?
Thank you for your question! While tofu and seitan are both commonly used as protein in meatless dishes, they are different.
Tofu originates from China over 2,000 years ago. It is made from soybeans and in modern times, is a white rectangular block that usually comes packed in water. It has a range of textures from soft (often used in soft desserts) to extra firm (good for hearty dishes). It has many versatile uses in cooking depending on the texture selected and how it is being manipulated. For instance, if it’s blended until completely smooth, it can be used in vegan quiches to replace the dairy and eggs. This recipe is a good example – https://uglyvegankitchen.com/2021/03/08/easy-vegan-quiche-recipe-tofu-chickpea-flour/
Seitan also originated in China and has been used in cooking for 1,500 years. It is made from vital wheat gluten, and has a texture that’s a bit chewy. The post below does a good job describing how I like to make it and use it in dishes.