Inspired by the Tex-Mex classic, this vegan seitan fajitas recipe has bell peppers, onions, garlic, cumin, lime juice and more. They were an important part of my mom’s meal rotation in the late 80’s. These days, I break them out on occasion, but have changed the recipe up a bit. Whether you make them out on the grill or cook them on a sheet pan in the oven, these plant based fajitas are easy to execute and delicious.
This recipe makes ~6-8 servings.
A few things…
- ・For this vegan fajitas recipe, you can either make your own seitan or use store bought.
- ・Add the reduced sodium soy sauce to taste. Sometimes, I need a few sprinkles; other times, it’s more like a few tablespoons. Let your taste buds guide you.
- ・ For the grilling method, I used a gas grill. Depending on the type of grill you use, it may take more or less time to cook. Just keep an eye on them and adjust accordingly.
- ・Not interested in baking or grilling? Make stove top seitan fajitas! Add the olive oil to a skillet with the onions, peppers, and garlic. When they’re soft, add the seitan. Stir around until everything is cooked through. Then, add the cumin, oregano, lime juice, and soy sauce. Stir around until the liquid has evaporated.
Please enjoy 💚 And don’t miss additional UVK recipes, like Vegan Stuffed Red Peppers with Chickpeas and Rice, Vegan Classic Coleslaw, Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup, Grilled Red Pepper Spread, Vegan Slow Cooker Seitan and Green Pea Stew and more.
3 cups seitan, sliced into strips
3 medium bell peppers (green, red, yellow), sliced
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 Tbsp ground cumin
½ tsp Mexican dried oregano
1 Tbsp lime juice
2 Tbsp olive oil
Reduced sodium soy sauce, to taste (see notes above)
6-8 soft taco tortillas
Chopped fresh cilantro, to top
Vegan sour cream, to top
Lime wedges, to serve
1. Preheat the oven (or grill) to 400º F. Line a large (grill-proof) sheet pan with non-stick aluminum foil. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, add the seitan, peppers, onions, garlic, cumin, oregano, lime juice, olive oil, and soy sauce (to taste). Stir until well coated.
3. Spread the seitan fajitas evenly across the (grill-proof) sheet pan. You can either bake or grill it. Regardless of method, keep a close eye on it throughout the process, so it does not burn.
TO BAKE: Bake at 400º F for ~12-15 minutes and then, flip. Return the vegan sheet pan fajitas the oven and bake for another ~10-15 minutes.
TO GRILL: Grill at 400º F with the lid closed for ~5-8 minutes and then, flip. Grill for an additional ~5-8 minutes.
4. Remove the seitan fajitas from the oven (or grill). Taste, and adjust seasonings, if needed (soy sauce? cumin? lime?). Serve on soft taco tortillas topped with vegan sour cream and cilantro. Enjoy with additional lime wedges on the side.