This vegan smashed potatoes recipe is dressed in vegan butter, scallions, cilantro, smoked paprika, ground cumin, garlic powder, and a little lime juice. Enjoy them right after mixing together or pop them under the broiler for some additional texture and flavor.
A few things…
- ・Try to select potatoes that are all roughly the same size. When you steam them, they’ll finish cooking through at about the same time.
- ・I used regular sized Yukon Gold potatoes, but have also used red potatoes in the past. If you use “baby” size, they will need less time to steam.
- ・You’ll want to steam the potatoes until they are very, very soft. You’re going to smash them with a spoon, so they need to give easily. Pierce them with a fork to make sure the middle is very soft before taking them out of the steamer.
This smashed potatoes recipe makes an excellent quick vegan side dish (maybe with Tofu Enchiladas with Mushrooms and Sweet Corn?). Instead of using rice, add these potatoes to your next bean burrito. Or if you love potato tacos, the broiled version tastes delicious as a taco filling.
As always, thanks for stopping by! 💚 Check out additional UVK recipes, like Artichoke Potato Salad, Chipotle Lime Jackfruit, Coconut Corn Soup with Soy Curls, Radish Salad with Fresh Dill and Scallions, and more.
Vegan Smashed Potatoes with Scallions and Cilantro
2 lbs yukon gold potatoes (see notes above)
6 Tbsp vegan butter, sliced
5 scallions, thinly sliced
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
½-1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp salt
Lime juice, to taste
1. First, you’ll need to steam the potatoes. Add about 1″ of water to a large pot. Lower a steamer basket into it and cover it with a lid. Bring to a boil. Add the Yukon Gold potatoes and cover with a lid. Steam for ~30 minutes or until they are very soft.
2. Add the potatoes to a large mixing bowl. Smash all of potatoes with the back of a large spoon. If you cooked them long enough, they should just pop apart.
3. Add the vegan butter, scallions and cilantro to the smashed potatoes. Then, sprinkle the smoked paprika, ground cumin, garlic powder, salt and lime juice over the top. Gingerly mix together.
4. Taste and adjust seasonings (more salt? more lime juice?). If you don’t want to broil it, you are ready to enjoy these potatoes, as a side dish, in burritos, in tacos, etc. If you do want to broil the smashed potatoes, proceed to the next step.
5. Set the oven to BROIL. Line a cookie sheet with parchment. Spread the potatoes across the cookie sheet in an even layer. Place under the broiler and keep a close eye on it. When the smashed potatoes looks crispy enough to you, they’re done!