Smashed potatoes are steamed whole potatoes that you smash with a large spoon and then, you stir in some delicious seasonings, herbs, etc. They’re rustic and easy.
This vegan smashed potatoes recipe uses Yukon Gold potatoes, but I have also used red potatoes with success in the past. Then, the steamed smashed potatoes are dressed in vegan butter, scallions, cilantro, smoked paprika, ground cumin, garlic powder, and a little lime juice.
You can eat these smashed potatoes right after you stir them together. Or as a variation, you stir them together, and then, spread them out on a parchment lined cookie sheet and broil them for a little extra crispiness. Broiling them takes some vigilance to make sure they don’t burn, but if you’re up for it, it’s a tasty variation!
A few things…
- ・Try to select potatoes that are all roughly the same size. When you steam them, they’ll finish cooking through at about the same time.
- ・I used regular sized Yukon Gold potatoes. If you use “baby” size, they will need less time to steam.
- ・You’ll want steam the potatoes until they are very, very soft. You’re going to smash them with a spoon, so they need to give easily. Pierce them with a fork to make sure the middle is very soft before taking them out of the steamer.
This recipe makes an excellent easy vegan side dish (maybe to Tofu Enchiladas with Mushrooms and Sweet Corn?). Instead of using rice, add these potatoes to your next bean burrito. Or if you love potato tacos, the broiled version tastes delicious as a taco filling.
As always, thanks for stopping by! 💚
Vegan Smashed Potatoes with Scallions and Cilantro
2 lbs yukon gold potatoes (see notes above)
6 Tbsp vegan butter, sliced
5 scallions, thinly sliced
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
½-1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp salt
Lime juice, to taste
1. Add about 1″ of water to a large pot. Lower a steamer basket into it and cover it with a lid. Bring to a boil. Add the Yukon Gold potatoes and cover with a lid. Steam for ~30 minutes or until they are very soft.
2. Add the potatoes to a large mixing bowl. Smash all of them with the back of a large spoon. If you cooked them long enough, they should just pop apart.
3. Add the vegan butter, scallions and cilantro. Then, sprinkle the smoked paprika, ground cumin, garlic powder, salt and lime juice over the top. Gingerly mix together.
4. Taste and adjust seasonings (more salt? more lime juice?). If you don’t want to broil it, you are ready to enjoy these potatoes, as a side dish, in burritos, in tacos, etc. If you do want to broil them, proceed to the next step.
5. Set the oven to BROIL. Line a cookie sheet with parchment. Spread the potatoes across the cookie sheet in an even layer. Place under the broiler and keep a close eye on it. When it looks crispy enough to you, they’re done!