Slavic people love borscht, and thus, there’s so many ways to make it. Taking inspiration from the classic soup, this is one tasty, easy vegan golden beet soup recipe with fresh dill, leeks and potatoes.
Why golden beets instead of red beets? Because golden beets are little less sweet than red beets. They’re mellower. And they’re a nice way to enjoy beet flavor with less intensity or earthiness. Think of them as “beet light”.
A few things…
- ・Borscht often uses julienned beets. I chose to shred them, because it allows them to cook through faster. Do what you like best! You can either do this by hand or use a food processor with the proper attachment.
- ・No time to julienne or shred the beets? Peel the beets and chop them into small cubes. You’ll still need ~3 cups.
- ・Use a really good broth. I like Edward & Sons Not-Chick’n Bouillon Cubes or Better than Bouillon Vegetarian No Chicken Base. You simply dissolve them in water and you’re ready to go.
- ・This vegan golden beet soup has a sour flavor. The slight sweetness of the beets pairs with the sour of vinegar. Start with 2 Tbsp vinegar, and add more if you need it.
- ・Want to jazz it up? Make a variation and add a bit of shredded cabbage.
This golden beet borscht soup recipe makes ~4 servings. Enjoy with a dollop of vegan sour cream on top. Or maybe some rye bread on the side?
And if you like this recipe, UVK has many other delicious to explore, like Vegan Cold Beet Soup, Golden Beetroot and Couscous Salad with Slivered Almonds and Currants, Roasted Fennel and Beets, Slow Cooker Vegan Persian-Style Green Bean Stew, and more.
Thank you for stopping by! 💚
Golden Beet Soup
1 cup chopped sweet onions
1 ½ cups thinly sliced leeks (white part only; thoroughly cleaned)
2 Tbsp oil (canola oil, sunflower oil, olive oil, you decide!)
1 cup peeled and cubed yukon gold potatoes
1 cup peeled and cubed turnip
1 cup peeled and diced carrots
3 cups shredded golden beets (see notes above)
4 cups broth (fake chicken or vegetable)
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp onion powder
2 bay leaves
2-3 Tbsp white distilled vinegar
⅓ cup finely chopped fresh dill
½ tsp salt
Black pepper, to taste
1. First, you’ll sauté the aromatics for the golden beet soup. In a dutch oven or large heavy pot, add onions, leeks, and the oil with a pinch of salt. Stir around over medium-high heat for ~7 minutes or until the onions are soft.
2. Add the potatoes, turnip, carrots, and golden beets to the soup pot. Stir until well mixed.
3. Add the broth, tomato paste, onion powder. and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then, lower the heat and cover with a lid. Simmer over low heat for 20-25 minutes. The potatoes should be soft and the flavors more developed.
4. Stir in the vinegar, salt, black pepper, and fresh dill. Taste the golden beet soup, and adjust seasonings, if needed (more salt? more vinegar?). Serve.