This vegan couscous salad recipe has a delicious dressing–lime juice, olive oil, mint, cilantro, parsley and a little bit of garlic powder. And wow, does it work with the couscous, golden beets, currants and slivered almonds. This may be a pretty simple salad, but the textures and flavors are awesome.
This recipe for couscous salad can be enjoyed for lunch or as a side dish. If you don’t have currants, you could try swapping in raisins, instead. This salad also keeps well, but may need a little refresh on the lime juice right before serving.
Couscous Salad with Golden Beets, Slivered Almonds and Currants
~6 small (OR 3 cups) golden beets, peeled and chopped into bite-size pieces
¼ cup olive oil (+ more for drizzling the beets)
1¾ cups fake chicken broth
1½ cups couscous
2 Tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
½ Tbsp fresh mint, torn
2 Tbsp lime juice
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp salt
½ cup slivered almonds
⅓ cup dried Zante currants
Lime wedges, to serve – optional
1. Preheat oven to 400º F. Line a large, shallow pan with non-stick foil. Spread the beets evenly across the foil. Drizzle them with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt. Move the beets around, so they are coated in the oil.
2. Bake the beets at 400º F for 15 minutes. Flip and return to the oven for another 5-10 minutes or until tender enough to enjoy eating. Remove from the oven, and allow to completely cool.
3. While the beets are roasting, add the broth to a medium saucepan, cover with a lid, and bring to a rapid boil. Remove from heat, stir in the couscous, and put the lid back on. After 5 minutes, remove the lid, fluff with a fork, and allow to cool down to room temperature.
4. In a large mixing bowl, add ¼ cup olive oil, parsley, cilantro, mint, lime juice, garlic powder and salt. Whisk together, and set aside until the beets and couscous are cooled down.
5. When the beets and couscous are room temperature, add them to the mixing bowl. Add the slivered almonds and currants. Stir to combine. Taste, and adjust seasonings (more salt? more lime juice?). Serve with lime wedges on the side.