With flavors inspired by Spanish white gazpacho, this easy vegan grape cucumber couscous pasta salad recipe is simple and refreshing. It’s got nice texture and flavor. The toasted walnuts add a satisfying crunch, but also work really well with the sherry vinegar. The green grapes, cucumbers and herbs make it taste very fresh. And the red onions, garlic and the couscous pasta that’s cooked in broth bring savory elements to the overall dish. It’s perfect for summer!
This recipe for grape cucumber couscous pasta salad makes ~4-6 servings. It held up well in the refrigerator overnight. It could be packed for lunch, put into the cooler for a picnic or a day at the beach, or whatever sounds good to you!
Pro tip: While I wait for the toasted walnuts, olive oil and couscous to cool enough for the salad, I use that time to chop the grapes, cucumber and fresh herbs.
Check out more UVK recipes, like Golden Beet Couscous Salad with Slivered Almonds and Dried Currants, Avocado Cucumber Carrot Sushi with Sweet Chili Sauce, Vegan Cucumber Mint Sandwiches, or Vegan Baked Pasta with Tofu Ricotta and Eggplant.
Now, let’s go make a delicious salad!
Grape Cucumber Couscous Salad
1 cup fake chicken broth (I used ½ cube Edward & Sons Not-Chick’n Bouillon dissolved in 1 cup water)
1 cup couscous
½ cup finely chopped walnuts
⅓ cup olive oil
1 cup finely chopped red onion
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 Tbsp sherry vinegar
½-¾ tsp salt
Black pepper, to taste
¼ cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
2 cups English cucumber chopped into bite-size cubes
2 cups halved green grapes
1. First, you’ll make the couscous pasta for the grape cucumber salad. In a saucepan, add the broth. Bring to boil. Remove from heat and immediately, stir in the couscous and then, cover it with a lid. Let it sit for 20 minutes undisturbed. Then, remove the lid and fluff with a fork. Set aside to cool.
2. In a small, dry skillet, add the walnuts over medium-high heat. Stir around constantly for ~1 minute or until they are fragrant and toasted. Spoon them onto a plate to cool.
3. Now, let’s make the dressing for the grape cucumber couscous pasta salad. Reuse the small skillet from the walnuts. Add the olive oil, red onion and garlic over high heat. When the olive oil sizzles, stir around the onions for ~30-45 seconds. You just want the onions and garlic to flavor the oil and soften. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
4. Once everything is cooled, it’s time to assemble the salad. Add the olive oil with the red onion and garlic to a large salad bowl. Then, stir in the sherry vinegar, salt, black pepper, parsley and chives.
5. Stir in the couscous. And then, add the walnuts, cucumbers and grapes. Taste the vegan grape cucumber couscous pasta salad and adjust seasonings, if needed (more salt? sherry vinegar?). Serve.