This balsamic potato salad recipe tastes like summer. It has fresh basil, ripe cherry tomatoes, and crisp arugula. The wheat berries add a hearty chewy quality to an otherwise pedestrian balsamic potato salad. All together, it is easy to make, and so delicious. It works well at a bbq, as a hearty whole grain vegan lunch, or a summer meal.
A few notes…
- ・Allow the wheat berries and potatoes to completely cool before putting this recipe together. If either are even slightly warm, they will wilt the fresh basil and arugula.
- ・Once the salad is assembled, it should be served immediately. With time, the fresh basil and arugula can become limp. Enjoy it while it’s fresh!
Balsamic Potato Salad with Fresh Basil, Cherry Tomatoes and Wheat Berries
3 garlic cloves, chopped
⅓ cup olive oil
3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 Tbsp lemon juice
Salt and black pepper
Red Potato Salad:
5 large red potatoes, boiled, completely cooled and cubed
2 cups cooked wheat berries, completely cooled
1 cup torn fresh basil leaves
1 cup fresh arugula
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
1. In a small skillet, add garlic and olive oil over high heat. When it just starts to sizzle, turn it all the way to low. Allow the garlic to infuse the oil with it’s flavor, but do not brown or burn the garlic (allowing it to sizzle for about 1-2 minutes).
2. Add the oil to a large, glass or metal mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients listed under “Balsamic Dressing” to the mixing bowl, and whisk until well combined.
3. Add everything listed under “Red Potato Salad” to the large mixing bowl. Combine. Taste, and adjust seasonings, if needed. Serve immediately.