This delicious vegan recipe for balsamic potato salad with fresh basil, ripe cherry tomatoes, arugula and wheat berries tastes like summer. The wheat berries add a hearty chewy quality to an otherwise pedestrian balsamic potato salad. All together, it is easy side dish to make, and so tasty!
It makes ~4-6 servings.
A few things…
- ・Allow the wheat berries, red potatoes and olive oil with garlic to completely cool before putting this recipe together. If any are even slightly warm, they will wilt the fresh basil and arugula.
- ・Once the balsamic potato salad is assembled, it should be served immediately. With time, the fresh basil and arugula can become limp. Enjoy it while it’s fresh!
DIscover more UVK recipes, like Sun-Dried Tomato Chickpea Burgers, Seitan Wheat Berry Chili, Middle Eastern Wheat Berry Salad with Kale, Cucumber and Tomato, Gnocchi with Pesto and Grilled Eggplant, Zucchini and Cherry Tomatoes, or Lemony Greek Wheat Berry Salad.
Thanks so much for being here! Now, let’s go make a delicious vegan balsamic potato salad 💚
Balsamic Potato Salad with Fresh Basil, Cherry Tomatoes and Wheat Berries
⅔ cup dry wheat berries
2½ cups water
4-5 large red potatoes
3 garlic cloves, chopped
⅓ cup olive oil
3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 Tbsp lemon juice
¼-½ tsp salt
Black pepper, to taste
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
¾ cup torn fresh basil leaves
1 cup fresh arugula
1. First, you’ll make the wheat berries for the balsamic potato salad. In a small pot, add the wheat berries and 2½ cups of water. Bring to a boil over high heat, and then, turn the heat down to low. Cover with a lid and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until fully cooked through and soft. Drain in a colander, rinse with cold water and set aside.
2. Fill a large pot with 1 inch of water. Lower a steamer basket into the pot, and then, cover the pot with a lid. Bring the water to a boil. Place the potatoes in the steamer basket, and cover the pot with a lid. Steam for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through. Remove the potatoes from the steamer. Allow to completely cool, and then, dice them up.
3. Next, you’ll infuse the olive oil for the balsamic potato salad dressing. In a small skillet, add garlic and olive oil over high heat. When it just starts to sizzle, move the garlic around for 20-30 seconds. Do not allow the garlic to brown or burn. Remove the skillet from heat and allow to completely cool.
4. When the wheat berries, potatoes and olive oil are completely cool, it’s time to make the balsamic salad dressing. In a large mixing bowl, add the olive oil with garlic, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt and black pepper. Whisk together.
5. Add the wheat berries, potatoes, cherry tomatoes, fresh basil and arugula to the balsamic salad dressing. Stir together. Taste, and adjust flavors, if needed (salt?). Serve immediately.