Inspired by the beloved Tex-Mex dip, this is one creamy vegan queso recipe with cashews, nutritional yeast, and Rotel! Whether you use mild or hot Rotel, this vegan homemade queso disappears fast.
It is so good smothered on nachos, tacos, or soft pretzels. You could even use it to make a vegan queso mac and cheese. Just mix in some elbow macaroni, and bake it or don’t bake it! Snack time, party time, meal time.
This recipe makes ~3 cups. If you do not have a high speed blender, you can still make this vegan queso dip recipe. Just make sure to soak the raw cashews in water for 4-6 hours before adding to a regular blender. The longer you can soak the cashews, the better.
I made this recipe with Rotel Hot Diced Tomatoes with Habarenos, but you can pick any of the Rotel diced tomatoes with chiles. Do what suits your comfort with heat. And then, be amazed by the best homemade vegan queso ever!
Vegan Queso Dip
2 tsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onions
2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
10 ounce package (OR ~2 ⅓ cups) frozen butternut squash
1 cup fake chicken broth (I dissolved ½ cube of Edward & Sons Not-Chick’n Bouillon in 1 cup water)
¾ cup raw whole cashews
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp white miso
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp lemon juice
½ tsp garlic powder
½-1 tsp salt
10 ounce can of Rotel diced tomatoes with chiles (see note above)
1. In a large pot or dutch oven, add the olive oil, onions and a dash of salt. Saute over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes or until the onions are soft and golden.
2. Add the garlic and butternut squash, and stir around for a minute. Then, pour in the broth, bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, and cover for 10 minutes.
3. While the butternut squash is simmering, add the raw cashews, nutritional yeast, white miso, dijon mustard, lemon juice, and garlic powder to a high speed blender (like a Vitamix or Ninja).
4. Spoon the contents of the pot (the butternut squash mixture) into the high speed blender. Blend until completely smooth and creamy.
5. Taste, and start with adding ½ tsp salt. Then, taste again. Add another ½ tsp salt, if needed.
6. Pour the vegan cheese sauce back into the pot.
7. Add the can of Rotel to the vegan cheese sauce. Mix together. Taste, and adjust seasonings, if needed (salt? lemon juice?).
8. Serve. If you prefer it a little warmer, warm over low heat for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.