This vegan smoky red bean soup recipe is inspired by preparations of Slovak Fazul’ová Polievka (or “bean soup”). There are many versions using different varieties of beans (like white beans, cranberry beans, red beans), meats (smoked bacon, sausage, etc), and add-ins (sour cream, vinegar, etc). However, most preparations involve potatoes, carrots, and paprika in some way.
Inspired, I put together this vegan red bean soup recipe to share with you. There’s smoked paprika, soy sauce, red miso and liquid smoke to bring a rich, smoky umami flavor. And of course, to bring it all together, it’s loaded with garlic, sweet Hungarian paprika, and dried marjoram. It smells incredible.
This recipe serves 4. Perfect for fall, winter or any time you want a savory, hearty, smoky red bean soup. And I can’t wait for you to try it! 💚
Smoky Red Bean Soup
2 Tbsp vegan butter
1½ cups onion, diced
8-10 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1½ tsp sweet Hungarian paprika
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp dried marjoram
2 bay leaves
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
½ cup peeled carrots chopped into bite-size pieces
1½ cups peeled Russet potatoes chopped into bite-size pieces
⅓ cup reduced sodium soy sauce (OR gluten free reduced sodium tamari)
4 cups water
2 tsp red miso
2 15 ounce cans of red beans, drained and rinsed (OR ~2½ cups cooked red beans)
2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
½ tsp liquid smoke (I used Wright’s Hickory Liquid Smoke)
Salt and black pepper
1. First, you’ll sauté the aromatics for the vegan smoky red bean soup. In a large, heavy pot or dutch oven, add the vegan butter, onions, and a dash of salt. Sauté over medium-high for ~7 minutes or until soft and golden.
2. Next, add the garlic, sweet Hungarian paprika, smoked paprika, dried marjoram, bay leaves, ground black pepper (to taste), garlic powder and onion powder. Stir around over medium heat for 1 minute.
3. Add the carrots and potatoes. Stir around for another 2 minutes. Then, add the soy sauce, stir around and scrape the bits off the bottom of the pot.
4. Add the water and red miso. Stir until the red miso dissolves. Add the red beans. Cover with a lid. Bring to a boil, and then, lower to a simmer. Cover and simmer the vegan smoky red bean soup over low heat for 20 minutes.
5. Stir in the parsley and liquid smoke. Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed (more salt? more black pepper?). Serve.